Supervisor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:12 PM

Compare speed tests at these two sites:

My Results (2Mbps Plan)

Site 1

Download Speed: 2454 kbps (306.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 598 kbps (74.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 49 ms

Site 2
(Use settings to change measurement to KB)

Download Speed: 2313 kbps
Upload Speed: 570 kbps
Ping: 42 ms

#2 HaOuLi

HaOuLi

Vice President

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,318 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:32 PM

What makes you ask if the speeds are rigged?

(I am not seeing anything too out of wack with those results you posted)

#3 BajanHut

BajanHut

Chief Operations Officer

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,256 posts
  • Interests:cutting electronic cane cause it pays the bills

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:40 PM

ye I a lil confused

#4 red_daug

red_daug

Vice President

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:28 PM

Your bandwidth speeds fluctuates and it also depends on the distant you're doing the speedtest at... site 1's server could be closer to you than site 2.

#5 Quellor

Quellor

Executive Vice President

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,248 posts
  • Interests:Computers/Cars/Chocolate

Posted 13 July 2012 - 05:26 AM

This man like he is a troublemaker yuh =)

#6 Ric

Ric

Executive Vice President

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,203 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 05:29 AM

bajan2nv, even though you results don't show anything strange, I have wondered about it and hence I make sure my speed tests (speedtest.net) are not to LIME in St. Lucia.

#7 spongerX

spongerX

Assistant Vice President

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,679 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 06:03 AM

There are so many variables that can affect speedtest sites. Location of the site in relation to you, routing to that location, the size of the data used for testing, whether the site is java or flash based, speed of the computer you're on, the network equipment in your house, the cylce of the moon and tides, etc etc

The only results LIME will take into consideration are the tests to their own speedtest server at http://www.time4lime...d_speedtest.jsp

They appear to have relicensed this now. This only tests the local bandwidth to them. Anything outside of their network they will not take responsibility for.

#8 Ric

Ric

Executive Vice President

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,203 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 08:35 AM

Sponger, I use to say to them that the majority of of the sites I visit are not located on servers in the Caribbean so my speed tests outside of LIME should be decent as well or it makes no sense. They protested but eventually yielded as I had no intention to.

#9 BajanHut

BajanHut

Chief Operations Officer

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,256 posts
  • Interests:cutting electronic cane cause it pays the bills

Posted 13 July 2012 - 09:02 AM

The only results LIME will take into consideration are the tests to their own speedtest server at http://www.time4lime...d_speedtest.jsp

They appear to have relicensed this now. This only tests the local bandwidth to them. Anything outside of their network they will not take responsibility for.

that's pretty useless tho. I guess I can see why they would say that but chaaaaa, if they were hosting the sites I surfing to then cool. that's like advertising a ferrari, telling me it does 0-60 in 3secs, sell it to me at a million dollars, then telling me I got to drive it on a cart road. :(

#10 HaOuLi

HaOuLi

Vice President

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,318 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 09:31 AM

that's pretty useless tho. I guess I can see why they would say that but chaaaaa, if they were hosting the sites I surfing to then cool. that's like advertising a ferrari, telling me it does 0-60 in 3secs, sell it to me at a million dollars, then telling me I got to drive it on a cart road. :(

To some degree LIME can't take responsibility for things happening beyond their network. The customer buys a connectivity service from LIME. LIME in turn buys connectivity service from where ever. If speed test servers in Timbuktu running in limp mode because the load balancers frig up, how can LIME take responsibility for that?
Sometimes the way a customer is treated may leave a lot to be desired but the expectation of the customer is really unreasonable.

LIME has whatever bandwidth, you get a slice of that. On their backbone you get your speed, that's the best that any provider can and should take responsibility for.

#11 Mauby

Mauby

Executive Vice President

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,605 posts
  • Interests:

Posted 13 July 2012 - 09:49 AM

To use a plumbing analogy, perhaps it could be a case that lime buys a half inch pipe to supply an area that's better served with a 2 inch main. All on their distribution network's supplied by a 2 inch main, but it's restricted at the bottleneck to half inch.

Perhaps they can purchase more capacity from providers, to allow the users greater bandwidth to the wider internet, where most customers would access their content, thus resulting in a higher quality of service. Of course then, you may have to pay more :P

#12 benenoach

benenoach

Chief Operations Officer

• Mods
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,828 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 09:59 AM

To some degree LIME can't take responsibility for things happening beyond their network. The customer buys a connectivity service from LIME. LIME in turn buys connectivity service from where ever. If speed test servers in Timbuktu running in limp mode because the load balancers frig up, how can LIME take responsibility for that?
Sometimes the way a customer is treated may leave a lot to be desired but the expectation of the customer is really unreasonable.

LIME has whatever bandwidth, you get a slice of that. On their backbone you get your speed, that's the best that any provider can and should take responsibility for.

Yes, I'm sure all the problems exist completely beyond LIME's network. :unsure: I wonder why the rest of the world getting kick @$$ results from the same speed test servers then. I guess we just unlucky.

#13 HaOuLi

HaOuLi

Vice President

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,318 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 11:40 AM

Yes, I'm sure all the problems exist completely beyond LIME's network. :unsure: I wonder why the rest of the world getting kick @$ results from the same speed test servers then. I guess we just unlucky.

Rest of the world?
Namely in the US, many of the internet servers are hosted there. When it in your 'back yard', of course you will get kick @$$ speeds. I am thinking some uni's have as much bandwidth themselves as LIME B'dos. Our scale in every sense is way different (lower) than ours.

#14 The Nationalist

The Nationalist

Executive Vice President

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,832 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 11:42 AM

So they rig it to make LIME look better than it actually is?

#15 HaOuLi

HaOuLi

Vice President

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,318 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 11:52 AM

So they rig it to make LIME look better than it actually is?

Huh?

#16 spongerX

spongerX

Assistant Vice President

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,679 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 12:18 PM

Yes, I'm sure all the problems exist completely beyond LIME's network. :unsure: I wonder why the rest of the world getting kick @$ results from the same speed test servers then. I guess we just unlucky.

Rest of the world?
Namely in the US, many of the internet servers are hosted there. When it in your 'back yard', of course you will get kick @$$ speeds. I am thinking some uni's have as much bandwidth themselves as LIME B'dos. Our scale in every sense is way different (lower) than ours.

The big universities in the US have more internet bandwidth than Barbados as a country has.

If you want to feel really bad about what we have here take a look at the Verizon Fios packages that economies of scale can support :(

#17 bajan2nv

bajan2nv

Supervisor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 12:25 PM

Actually I retested 2 more times and got over 4Mbps and another at over 28Mbps on LIME's site

#18 spongerX

spongerX

Assistant Vice President

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,679 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 12:26 PM

Yes, I'm sure all the problems exist completely beyond LIME's network. :unsure: I wonder why the rest of the world getting kick @$$ results from the same speed test servers then. I guess we just unlucky.

After battling with LIME for a while I finally get decent downloads to pretty much anywhere in the world.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I need to get them to fix my upload now tho.

#19 bajan2nv

bajan2nv

Supervisor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 12:27 PM

Actually I retested 2 more times and got over 4Mbps and another at over 28Mbps on Lime site

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users